PSY 452 – Experimental Psychology
Content Analysis Instructions
To better understand the concept of non-experimental designs, be sure to read all the assigned readings for this Topic before beginning the assignment:
1. For this assignment, you will watch three television shows from the genres listed below and analyze them for verbal and physical violence portrayed in the show. Choose a show that fits the following genres:
a. Situation comedy
1. On the Tally Sheet template below, tally the number of times you see a mode of aggression on the selected program.
a. Rate the overall violence using a 5-point scale from 1 (not at all violent) to 5 (extremely violent).
2. Collapse your data within each program category.
3. Determine the average number of acts per program hour for each mode of aggression.
4. Determine the average violence for each program and compare the prominent modes of aggression across the programs.
|Program #1||Program #2||Program #3|
|Length in Minutes|
|Number of Acts involving:
1. Violence to Body
|2. Use of Weapon|
|3. Physical Threat|
|4. Verbal Threat|
|5. Sarcasm or Symbolism|
|Total number of Aggressive Acts|
|Overall Violence Rate:
1 (none) to 5 (extremely violent)