Before you begin the preparation, make sure that you have loaded the Data Analysis Toolpak in Excel. I recommend that you create the Excel spreadsheet using either a desktop or laptop computer. I would strongly discourage you from attempting to create this on any of the following devices: Any phone, Any Tablet (with the exception of a Microsoft Surface), Chromebook or Linux-based system. I also recommend that you avoid Apple’s Numbers application as well as Google doc spreadsheet.
Create the following spreadsheet:
Column A: Observations. Use numeric or text to identify them. For example, “OBS 1” or simply “1”.
Column B: The last 20 days of observed low temperatures in your home town. ( RIYADH )
Column C: The last 20 days of observed low temperatures for the town you live in now.( MIAMI )
Guidance: These data are available through any weather service- simply request previous or historical data available when viewing the entire month.
Column D: Visit a brick-and-mortar retailer such as Publix, Target or Walmart and gather the name and price of 10 grocery items from a national maker.
Column E: Visit an online retailer such as Amazon and gather the name and price of the exact same 10 grocery items selected at brick and mortar retailer.
Guidance: I suggest these be canned foods, bread, frozen foods- anything that is pre-processed and a national brand. I suggest that you select 15 items in case an item is not available in one place or the other. The items should be exactly the same items. Avoid the deli, bakery, meat and produce departments as these are internally prepared r seasonally available.
Column F: Select 10 male friends and enter their ages.
Column G: Select 10 female friends and enter their ages.
Column H: Gather the GDP data of your country of Origin for the past 10 years. (Saudi Arabia )
Column I: Gather the GDP data of a country other than USA or your country of origin for the last 10 years. ( Netherland )
Column J: Gather the GDP data of the USA for the last 10 years.
Guidance: GDP data is available at this web site; https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/ny.gdp.mktp.kd.zg
For the GDP website, simply enter the name of the country and use the cursor to gather the data. Note: some countries will not have a reporting convention. If your country or origin or your selected country does not have this information, simply select another location of interest.
Finally, document all the data collected beginning in column J. Clearly provide the detail that allows a person looking at your data set to understand all the variables and all the information that is present.
Once you are done with the Excel file, answer the following questions. Remember to provide evidence and screenshots of the analysis embedded in the results, as we discussed in class.
When you have completed your analyses and clearly labelled all components and results and stated those results, submit your final Excel spreadsheet
Final Project Questions
- Is there a statistical difference in temperatures between your selected cities?
- Is there a statistical difference in age between your male and female friends?
- Is your age statistically different that your male friends?
- Is your age statistically different that your female friends?
- Are the prices of the online retailers statistically less expensive than their brick-and-mortar counterparts?
- Are the prices of the online retailers statistically different than their brick-and-mortar counterparts given that they are exactly the same products?
- Using 21 as a cut-off age, is there a relationship between the number of your friends over 21 and 21 and under with gender?
- Is there a relationship between the GDP data from the two countries?
- Does GDP of the USA have any bearing on the GDP of your country of origin of your first selected country?
- Does GDP of the USA have any bearing on the GDP of your country of origin of your second selected country?