https://topnursingessay.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/logoTNa.png 0 0 https://topnursingessay.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/logoTNa.png 2022-08-31 06:22:002022-08-31 06:22:003.2.2 Psychotropic drugs
3.2.2 Psychotropic drugs
For this assignment, you will choose one psychotropic drug that is metabolized by CYP450 enzymes and complete the following steps:
- Write a summary to Introduce your chosen drug thoroughly in terms of class, use, precautions, side-effects, interactions, and overdose potential. Hypothesizing the outcome of prescribing your chosen drug in the presence of its CYP450 inhibitor and inducer.
- Answer the following questions:
- What are examples of drugs that will inhibit and induce the psychotropic drug you chose to study? What will happen, e.g., side effects, symptoms in the patient if the psychotropic drug was prescribed along with either its (1) inhibitor or (2) inducer?
- For which CYP450 enzyme/s is it a substrate?
- What are the pharmacokinetic considerations when prescribing this medication (absorption, distribution, elimination)? Dietary considerations? Dosing times.
- How do genetics and specific ethnic backgrounds affect enzyme metabolization?
- Why is CYP450 such an important enzyme to understand in psychiatric medication prescribing?