· Develop a data table that illustrates one or more underperforming clinical outcomes in a care environment of your choice. Write an assessment (3 pages) in which you set one or more quantitative goals for the outcomes and propose a change plan that is designed to help you achieve the goals.
Note: Each assessment in this course builds on the work you completed in the previous assessment. Therefore, it is recommended that you complete the assessments in this course in the order in which they are presented.
Knowing what is the best practice for our patients is very important in providing safe and effective care. Understanding best practices can help nurses identify areas of care that need to be improved. To identify areas of need, nurses must use evidence from various sources, such as the literature, clinical practice guidelines (CPG), professional organization practice alerts or position papers, and protocols. These sources of evidence can also be used to set goals for improvement and best practices with an eye toward improving the care experience or outcomes for patients.
The challenge facing many care environments and health care practitioners is how to plan for change and implement changes. For, if we cannot effectively implement changes in practice or procedure, than our goals of improving care will likely amount to nothing. This assessment focuses on allowing you to practice locating, assessing, analyzing, and implementing change strategies in order to improve patient outcomes related to one or more clinical goals.
This assessment will take the form of a data table to identify areas for improvement and to set one or more outcome goals, as well as a narrative describing a change plan that would help you to achieve the goals you have set.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 1: Design patient-centered, evidence-based, advanced nursing care for achieving high-quality patient outcomes.
· Develop a data table that accurately reflects the current and desired states of one or more clinical outcomes.
· Competency 2: Develop change strategies for improving the care environment.
· Propose change strategies that will help to achieve the desired state of one or more clinical outcomes.
· Justify the specific change strategies used to achieve desired outcomes.
· Competency 3: Apply quality improvement methods to practice that promote safe, equitable quality of care.
· Explain how change strategies will lead to quality improvement with regard to safety and equitable care.
· Competency 4: Evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of interprofessional care systems in achieving desired health care improvement outcomes.
· Explain how change strategies will utilize interprofessional considerations to ensure successful implementation.
· Competency 5: Communicate effectively with diverse audiences, in an appropriate form and style, consistent with organizational, professional, and scholarly standards.
· Communicate change plan in a way that makes the data and rationale easily understood and compelling.
· Integrate relevant sources to support assertions, correctly formatting citations and references using current APA style.
Consider the current environment. This could be your current care setting, the care settings presented in the Vila Health: Using Evidence to Drive Improvement or Vila Health: Concept Maps as Diagnostic Tools media, or a care setting in which you are interested in working.
For the setting that you choose you will need to have a data set that depicts sub-optimal outcomes related to a clinical issue. This data could be from existing sources in the course (Vila Health: Using Evidence to Drive Improvement), a relevant data set that already exists (a data set from the case study you used as a basis for your Concept Map assessment, or from your current place of practice), or an appropriate data set that you have created yourself. (Note: if you choose to create your own data set, check with your instructor first for approval and guidance.)