RESEARCH METHODS THESIS
TASK 1: RESEARCH METHODS (8 points)
To truly get a gauge of your understanding of research methods, please read the following three articles below. For EACH article:
1. Clearly identify the hypothesis(es) and the type(s) of research discussed (by the way, it’s not necessary that the author actually conducts a study since he/she could discuss other work so it is possible that there are different types of hypotheses and different methods).
2. When a correlation (most often, there could be more than one) is presented, discuss this in depth. Some things to consider: is it a positive or negative correlation and how you determined that? In other words, what does it mean to have a “positive” or “negative” correlation? What are the variables involved? Advantages and limits of correlations? Discuss both concepts and how they are applied to the study(s) discussed in the article?
3. When an experiment is involved, discuss this in depth. Some things to consider: what qualities are needed to make it an experiment? What are the independent and dependent variables involved? Advantages and limits of experiments? Discuss both concepts and how they are applied to the study(s)?
You must EXPLAIN your answers and talk about RESEARCH CONCEPTS in order to earn high points. You will find that there might be some inconsistent responses among students since in some cases, you will focus on different parts. In grading, I will allow some leeway in what is discussed but will also be looking for accuracy in your explanations. Keep in mind that I will post a document explaining all this after the week is done.
1. Are Positive Emotions Good For Your Health In Old Age?
2. Study Identifying Risks, Consequences Of Video Game Addiction
3. Mindfulness Meditation Training Changes Brain Structure in Eight Weeks
TASK 2: COGNITION (4 points)
Consider the fact that while human beings are quite good with their thinking, we often underestimate how faulty our cognition can be. Since our thinking is prone to error, it becomes more important to do systematic studies and to apply critical thinking!
Please complete each of the following three exercises (in some instances, you will need help from someone else). Your post should discuss details describing EACH of the exercises and primarily analyze various COGNITIVE CONCEPTS at play. In providing depth, it’s always good to explain briefly what happened to you personally but also go beyond; consider some different ways that people can cognitively figure out the tasks and what may affect the process. What might happen with someone else and why?
1. Go to the following site to find nine dots arranged in a square matrix. http://www.brainstorming.co.uk/puzzles/ninedotsnj.html Try out the task: draw four lines through all the dots. Don’t look at the rest of the page unless you absolutely have to 🙂