Download the MM305_DataSets zip file to your computer (located in Course Documents).
Select a data set with at least two numerical variables. You will NOT be able to copy and paste a graph into the Discussion Board, so you should copy your graph to a Word Document and attach it to your post.
Determine the following information on your selected data set. Be sure to answer all questions using complete sentences.
- What are the two variables? Do you think there might be a correlation between the two variables (before you analyze the data)?
- Create a scatterplot with a simple linear regression (see video in Live Binder).
- What is the linear regression (prediction line) equation? What is the coefficient of determination ?
- Do you think that there is a strong positive or strong negative correlation? Why or why not? Is this result what you expected?
- Attach the scatterplot to your post.
First response: Choose a classmate’s post and review the linear regression (prediction line) equation. Select a value for the independent variable X and calculate the predicted Y. Be sure to show your work. Does the predicted value seem reasonable?
Second response: Choose another classmate’s post. Further the math conversation by commenting on the correlation between the two variables and why you believe the regression equation is a good or poor model for prediction.