If Peggy or Mary was a friend of yours, what advice would you give them? Are they bound by the limits of their genes? Or can changing their eating and exercise habits lead to sustainable weight loss? Why?
Note: Do not provide a synopsis of the story from the case study. Assume we are all familiar with the story.
Support your thesis with evidence from the readings/videos
Develop an essay to support your thesis statement using information from the previous reading/video materials. It is important that you utilize data from 3 or more of the sources that I have provided; the more you use the better. Citing specific numerical and factual evidence from these sources is imperative.
If you want to find more information because you are intrigued or if you have more questions that need answering- please do so BUT only from reputable sources. They need to be cited!
Your write up should demonstrate that you can:
· Explain how specific hormones regulate appetite, hunger, fat storage and metabolic rate
· Analyze the role of genetics and environmental factors in maintaining an acceptable body weight.
· Explain how the body uses and stores energy from the food we eat
· Describe how feedback loops work to maintain homeostasis.
· Describe what comprises a healthy nutritional/exercise plan according to the guidelines of the new Food Pyramid.
Ties to earlier Module concepts:
· Understand that a cell’s function determines the proteins that it produces (Ch2)
· Recognize the chemical structure of the four classes of biological organic macromolecules: carbohydrates,lipids, proteins, nucleic acids; differentiate their function in cells and identify key molecules that comprise each class.(Ch.2)
See the grading rubric for guidance on what is expected for full credit. Click the Options icon ((3 vertical dots), then select “Show Rubric.”
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeQuality of Writing||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeData Analysis||