- When are juveniles sufficiently autonomous to be fully responsible for their behavior?
- Do you think adolescents should be treated as adults under the law? Why or why not? Or perhaps, in some circumstances, but not others?
- Connect to class: Based on what you have learned in class, list 2-3 reasons why adolescents should NOT be treated as adults under the law.
- Connect to class: Based on what you have learned in class, list 2-3 reasons why adolescents SHOULD be treated as adults under the law.Article #1
Two 13-Year-Old Girls Are Being Tried As Adults. Here’s Why That Matters.
POLITICS 08/12/2015 07:50 pm ET Updated Jan 03, 2017
By Dayana Morales Gomez
On Monday, a Wisconsin judge ruled that the two 13-year-old girls accused of attempting to murder a
Classmates to impress fictional Internet characters Slender Man will be tried as adults.
The teens face dramatically different treatment because of the judge’s decision. Children tried as adults
face longer sentences and fewer resources while incarcerated, and they’re more likely to be assaulted in
adult prisons than juvenile facilities.
If convicted in juvenile court, the 13-year-olds would have faced detention until the age of 18, followed
by intense supervision and services when released back into their communities. In adult court, they face
up to 65 years in prison. They may also be sentenced to a combination of prison and extended supervision
under the Department of Corrections.
In Wisconsin, any juvenile over 10 years old charged with homicide or attempted homicide is
automatically tried in adult court, but defense lawyers may request a trial in juvenile court for youth under
16. Waukesha County Circuit Judge Michael Bohren said Monday that defense lawyers “failed to
convince him” the cases should be moved, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
One of two 12-year-old girls accused of stabbing a classmate to please the fictional character Slender Man
is led into a courtroom at the Waukesha County Courthouse in Waukesha, Wis. Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2014.
Topnursingessay.com: a professional writing service that provides original papers. Our products include academic papers of varying complexity and other personalized services.
Using this writing service is legal and is not prohibited by any university/college policies.
Read more about how you can use a custom written paper you get from us.
+1 (508) 504-5634