Student Learning Objective 4â€“6:
- Generate knowledge through research and/or evidence-based practice to advance the nursing profession.
- Evaluate ethical, legal, and professional standards of practice.
- Evaluate the leadership and management roles of the doctoral prepared nurse in creating a quality health care delivery system.
DNP Essential Domain 7: Systems-Based Practice
Descriptor: Responding to and leading within complex systems of health care. Nurses effectively and proactively coordinate resources to provide safe, quality, and equitable care to diverse populations.
Contextual Statement: Using evidence-based methodologies, nurses lead innovative solutions to address complex health problems and ensure optimal care. Understanding of systems-based practice is foundational to the delivery of quality care and incorporates 48 key concepts of organizational structure, including relationships among macro-, meso-, and microsystems across healthcare settings. Knowledge of financial and payment models relative to reimbursement and healthcare costs is essential. In addition, the impact of local, regional, national, and global structures, systems, and regulations on individuals and diverse populations must be considered when evaluating patient outcomes. As change agents and leaders, nurses possess the intellectual capacity to be agile in response to continually evolving healthcare systems, to address structural racism and other forms of discrimination, and to advocate for the needs of diverse populations. Systems-based practice is predicated on an ethical practice environment where professional and organizational values are aligned, and structures and processes enable ethical practice by all members of the institution.
Integrated healthcare systems are highly complex, and gaps or failures in service and delivery can cause ineffective, harmful outcomes. These outcomes also span individual through global networks. Cognitive shifting from focused to big picture is a crucial skill set. Similarly, the ability for nurses to predict change, employ improvement strategies, and exercise fiscal prudence are critical skills. System awareness, innovation, and design also are needed to address such issues as structural racism and systemic inequity.
Please complete the following:
- Review the Student Learning Outcome(s) and the DNP Essential(s).
- Discuss how you plan to meet the Student Learning Outcomes and the Essentials at this stage of your Scholarly Practice Project (SPP).
- Review the entry-level and advanced-level sub-competencies in the DNP Essentials. Examine what may be applicable to your project.
- Create a Word document that will become a living document, which you will continuously revisit and adapt as you progress through NU740â€“743.
- Upload your Word document to this assignment for instructor review and feedback.
The purpose of this assignment is to recognize how the SLOs and DNP Essentials influence your Scholarly Practice Project (SPP) and nursing practice. The goal is to document how you have met all nine Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) and DNP Essentials upon DNP graduation.